Lyons Dam is located in the Village of Lyons, Michigan on the Grand River. It is located 54 miles upstream of 6th Street Dam in downtown Grand Rapids and is the second dam upstream from the river mouth. Lyons Dam was constructed in 1857 for hydropower generation using a rock and timber crib core with a concrete facing. It partially failed sometime between 1913 and 1919 and was subsequently repaired. In 1929, the Lyons Dam power plant and turbines were upgraded by Consumers Power, and sometime following 1932, the dam was repaired and upgraded. Consumers Power abandoned power production in 1957 and sold the dam to the Village of Lyons in 1960. The Village of Lyons and Michigan Department of Natural Resources started working on removal of Lyons Dam in the 1980’s.
In 2016, Lyons Dam was finally removed opening up 16 miles of river for fish and other aquatic species, but not after numerous unknown opportunities were resolved.